No. 9 TEXAS TECH in BAYLOR
Waco,Texas | Baylor Baseball Stadium
April 29-May 1, 2022
Texas Tech Game Notes (PDF) | Baylor Play Notes (PDF)
Texas Tech travels to Waco this weekend for the first time since 2018 for a three-game series against Baylor. The two programs will face off for the 176th time on Friday, which for Texas Tech is its second longest running streak behind TCU. Under head coach Tim Tadlock, Tech has won five of eight series against the Bears since 2013, but one thing Tadlock hasn’t done or any of his predecessors have done is sweep Baylor in Waco. Three wins this weekend would secure him a place in the Big 12 Championship tournament.
Coverage will be provided via Big 12 Now on ESPN+. John Morris will have the call, alongside former Baylor Bear Richard Cunningham providing analysis, from inside Baylor Ballpark. The show can be accessed from any desktop or laptop computer, any personal cellular device, and TV streaming services using the ESPN app. Signing up for the Subscription Service can be found at ESPNPlus.com.
Texas Tech Sports Network will also broadcast the game to 46 affiliates statewide in Texas and New Mexico, with Geoff Haxton having the call alongside analyst Jamie Lent.
TEXAS TECH AT THE NATIONAL RANKING
- D1Baseball: No. 9
- Baseball America: 15
- NCBWA: No. 11
- College baseball: NR
- United States Coaches: No. 13
- Perfect Game: No. 15
PROJECTED LAUNCH MATCHUPS
- Friday, April 29: RHP Andrew Morris (3.70 ERA, 5-0) vs. RHP Jake Jackson (8.92 ERA, 3-3)
- Saturday, April 30: RHP Brandon Birdsell (2.17 ERA, 6-2) vs. LHP Kobe Andrade (4.50 ERA, 3-2)
- Sunday, May 1: TBA vs. RHP Blake Helton (5.40 ERA, 0-1)
LAST TIME VS. BAYLOR
In the first round of the 2021 Phillips 66 Big 12 Championship in Oklahoma City, Tech took an early lead and took a great start from Mason Montgomery to secure an 11-4 victory over Baylor the last time the two met. In the 2021 series at Lubbock, the Bears won Sunday’s rubber game to become the first team to leave Lubbock with a series win since 2018, and remain the last team to leave Lubbock with a series win.
BACK ON THE ROAD FOR A TIME
Tech has seven straight games on the road, with a built-in bye weekend of May 6-8 – coinciding with final exams which run from May 5-10 – before heading home to host the Sooners, May 19 to May 21. The 2022 Phillips 66 Big 12 Baseball Championship is next on the list, to be held at Globe Life Field in Arlington, Texas, May 25-29. For more information on participation and tickets, visit Big12Sports.com.
BIRDSELL HONORED FOR OUTSTANDING PERFORMANCE
Texas Tech junior right-hander Brandon Birdsell has been named co-Big 12 pitcher of the week, the league announced Monday. This is the second Birdsell Award for pitcher of the week of the 2022 season. Birdsell pitched a full eight innings in the Red Raiders’ dominant 12-2 (8) win over West Virginia in Game 2 of the Saturday doubleheader. The junior didn’t allow an earned run, limited the Mountaineers to four hits and struck out nine while walking with a single batter. The departure marked the longest outing of his Texas Tech career.
AT HOME or AWAY
It’s no secret that there’s something special about Rip Griffin Park where the Red Raiders are 20-3. Below is a side-by-side comparison of some things that work at home versus on the road:
Team batting average: .344
Team Base Percentage: 0.453
Team ERA: 4.41
Opp. Batting average: 0.246
|ROAD & NEUTRAL (9-12)
Team batting average: .250
Team Base Percentage: 0.367
Team ERA: 5.79
Opp. Batting average: 0.259
SCOUTING – BAYLOR
- Baylor enters the weekend 21-20 and is one of three Big 12 programs sitting under .500 at 4-11 (.267).
- The Bears last played Tuesday, beating Incarnate Word, 8-7.
- A look at Baylor’s 2022 debut in the Big 12:
- Big 12 Series #1: Lost 2 of 3 at home to TCU.
- Big 12 Series #2: Lost 2 of 3 at Oklahoma.
- Big 12 Series #3: Swept in West Virginia.
- Big 12 Series #4: Won 2 of 3 at Kansas.
- Big 12 Series #5: Swept in Texas.
- Baylor is near the top of the NCAA in turning double plays, tied for second in the nation with 44.
- Baylor allows 9.51 hits per game, which ranks it 136th nationally in hits allowed per game.
- In a vote of the league’s head coaches, Baylor was selected to finish fifth in the 2022 preseason Big 12 baseball coaches poll.
- Outfielder Jared McKenzie was the Bears’ only winner on the preseason Big 12 team.
TEXAS TECH-BAYLOR SERIES HISTORY
- Friday’s meeting will be the 176th all-time between the two programs.
- The series dates back to 1928 when Tech holds a 91-84 all-time lead.
- The Baylor series is the second most played for the Red Raiders, behind the TCU series.
- In games played in Waco, the Bears lead the series 50-30.
- Under Tadlock, the Red Raiders have won five of eight series against the Bears.
- Under Tadlock, the Red Raiders are 17-11 against the Bears.
- Tech’s last series win in Waco was in 2016.
- Technology has never swept Baylor in Waco.
- The last time Tech swept Baylor was in 2015, in Lubbock.
- The Red Raiders are 9-12 in road and neutral games and 20-3 in home games this season.
- Texas Tech went 22-5 through February and March but is 7-10 in April.
- Tech has scored six or more points in 29 of 44 games this season.
- TTU is 26-3 in those games. These three losses occurred in April. Tech first went down April 6 against Grand Canyon after starting the ninth inning 8-2 down and scoring five goals in a comeback that fell 8-7. It happened again in a 14-9 loss last time out to Oklahoma in Amarillo, and in the loss to New Mexico last time out via a 3-run home run.
- Tech has scored in double figures 16 times in 44 games.
- TTU is 15-1 in those games. Tech lost by double digits for the first time at UNM.
- Tech is fourth in the NCAA in runs scored with 398. UNLV is first with 421 while Virginia is second with 409 and Georgia Tech is third with 406.
- In the NCAA, Jace Jung ranks No. 1 in walks (47) and No. 5 in walks/per game (1.07).
- In the NCAA, Jace Jung ranks No. 5 in runs scored (55), No. 10 in on-base % (.516) and No. 17 in doubles (17).
- In the NCAA, Brandon Birdsell ranks No. 14 in strikeouts per nine innings (13.67) and No. 18 in strikeouts (82).
- In the NCAA, Kurt Wilson ranks 17th in RBIs (53).