Eagles looking for second win against Power 5 team
STATESBORO- The Georgia Southern football team hits the road Saturday for a battle with Nebraska at historic Memorial Stadium. Kickoff is scheduled for 7:30 p.m. (ET)/6:30 p.m. (local) and will be broadcast on FS1. The game will also be available via radio on the Georgia Southern Sports Network. Here’s everything you need to know about the game:
Game 2: Saturday, September 10, 2022 • 7:30 p.m. (ET)/6:30 p.m. (local time)
Location: Lincoln, Neb. (Memorial Stadium; 86,000)
Nebraska: 1-1, 0-1 Big Ten
South Georgia: 1-0, 0-0 SBC
PBP: Noé Aigle; Analyst: Mark Helfrich
GS: PLAY NOTES
UNL: PLAY NOTES
Inside the series
Overall: first meeting
To note :
- Georgia Southern and Nebraska have never met in football.
- Georgia Southern has played two previous games against current members of the Big Ten Conference, dropping to Indiana in 2017 and Minnesota in 2019.
- Eagle Quarterback Kyle Vantrease started for Buffalo last year at Lincoln, going 27-for-50 for 224 yards with one interception. He also had an 81-yard punt that went for a touchdown.
- Georgia Southern has never played a Nebraska State football game or a Cornhusker State team.
- Eagle Head Coach Helton clay is 2-3 in true season-opening road games as a head coach.
- Georgia Southern picked up a win over a Power 5 team in 2013 at The Swamp as the Eagles beat Florida, 26-20.
Countdown to kick off
ten: Kyle Vantrease hit ten various receivers against Morgan State and threw for 367 yards and four touchdowns. His passing distance was fourth in the program’s history and his passing grades were tied with the school grade.
9: New the real freshmen played in Game 1 against Morgan State.
8: Alex Raynor made a career high eight PATs on as many tries in the 59-7 win over the Bears last week.
seven: Seven The Eagles made their first start at Georgia Southern last week against Morgan State: Free, Trevon Locke, Rasheed Miller, Jeremy Singleton, Kyle Vantrease, Jalen White and Pichon Wimbley.
6: by Kyle Vantrease The 367-yard effort in Game 1 last week was just the sixth 300 yard play in program history. The Eagles have never had a consecutive 300-yard effort from a quarterback.
5: Georgia Southern defense posted five tackles for loss, three interceptions and a sack while not giving up any points in last week’s opener against MSU.
4: Former UMass head coach and current Nebraska offensive coordinator Mark Whipple coached against Georgia Southern four times to UMass, posting a record of 2-2.
3: It will be the Eagles third all-time game against current members of the Big Ten Conference. Georgia Southern fell to Indiana in 2017 and last minute to Minnesota in 2019.
2: Eagle head coach Helton clay is 2-3 in real season-opening road games as head coach.
1: This is corn — This will be the first game Georgia Southern played in Nebraska State or Cornhusker State team.
September 17 at UAB – Birmingham, Ala. – 3:30 p.m. (ET)/2:30 p.m. (local time) – Stadium